Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Cycling and the Wind

We were warned about the wind when we moved to Lethbridge, but this is silly! When I left for work this morning at 7:15am, the wind was about 15km/hr. When I left work at 1:20pm, the wind was 61km/hr with gusts to 76km/hr! I actually was stopped dead on my bike at one point because the gust was so strong. I had to walk my bike for about 2km because I couldn't ride into the wind, it was just impossible to get started again. Going downhill into the wind, I had to pedal, whereas normally I have my brakes on the entire time. It took forever to walk up the Whoop-Up hill, because I could barely manage to walk against the wind while pushing my bike. Another funny thing is that, the one time the wind was at my back, I wasn't pedalling, but had to put my brakes on because I was going so fast, just from the wind!

According to the forecast, the wind is supposed to die down overnight, so hopefully I can ride more successfully tomorrow. I don't think I could ride against that multiple days in a row.

No comments:

Post a Comment